Since 2007, having seen over 12,000 patients, our quick and friendly Community Urology Service continues to see patients in local health centres for simple diagnostic tests, including:
- Flexible Cystoscopy;
- Flow Tests;
- Prostate Biopsies;
- Consultant advice
Once the service team receive a referral from a GP, a consultant will triage each referral and advise on the type of appointment needed. We continue to have short wait time and within 3 - 5 working days of referral, each patient is called to discuss a convenient appointment, date, time and location. Often the patient chooses to wait for a specific location out of the seven clinics we are able tof offer, but is still seen within 14 days. Wait times for "2 Week Wait" referral are currently 9 days. All patients receive a confirmation letter, a leaflet about the procedure, a map and a reminder call prior to their clinic appointment. We are pleased to be able to offer our patients Saturday and evening appointments at various locations - further improving the patient's experience. Following the appointment, each patient leaves with clinic report and GP receives clinic report within 24 hours. For patients where further treatment is required, GP Care arranges onward referrals directly to Southmead Hospital Urology/Radiology Department.
The service continues to receive very positive feedback from patients:
- "I attended on Saturday and it was very friendly staff and very helpful"
- "Very quick appt and no waiting when attended. Also very helpful & courteous service"
- "Very quick efficient service including tests & diagnosis all within 20 mins very pleased"
- "Time spent talking to me, on time service, friendly staff"
- "If some of my friends have been passing blood I’ve told them it is worth checking"
- "I would recommend because everything explained & you feel you care. Thank you - a relaxed procedure"
- "Prompt, easy access, no waiting times, helpful & friendly staff"
- "You all took your time to explain what you were going to do & how I might feel and explaining what was going on at the time"
Referrals to the Community Urology Service can be made via Choose & Book or faxed to 0845 649 2101.