GP Care offers the Harmony™ Prenatal Test to prospective mothers to test for chromosomal abnormalities in their baby. The service is available for women who are 10 weeks pregnant or more.
There are two pricing options:
- £410 for a Harmony™ test and an ultrasound scan (to include a 2D scan photo)
- £350 for the Harmony™ test only*
*a viability scan will be performed before the blood test is taken.
What is the Harmony™ Prenatal Test?
Harmony is a Non-Invasive Prenatal Test (NIPT) offering an accurate assessment of the likelihood of your baby having:
- Patau syndrome (trisomy 13)
- Edwards syndrome (trisomy 18)
- Down syndrome (trisomy 21)
- Sex Chromosome abnormalities (Turner syndrome and Klinefelter Syndrome - single pregnancy only)
These occur as a result of missing or extra copies of chromosomes otherwise referred to as aneuploidies.
Two samples of your blood are taken from which your baby’s DNA is tested. The test can be performed as early as 10 weeks for most pregnancies including single and twin pregnancies and for women undergoing IVF or women who have conceived via assisted reproductive technology including use of a donor egg.
What are my current options?
The NHS currently provides a "combined test" to screen for Down's, Edwards' and Patau's syndromes. This involves a nuchal translucency scan and a maternal blood test at 10 - 14 weeks and provides an estimate of risk taking into consideration maternal age. It is less accurate than an NIPT test.
If it wasn't possible to obtain a nuchal translucency measurement, or you're more than 14 weeks into your pregnancy, you'll be offered a test called the quadruple blood screening test between 14 and 20 weeks of pregnancy. This only screens for Down's syndrome and is not quite as accurate as the combined test. More information can be found here.
What are the advantages of the Harmony™ Prenatal Test?
- Can be performed as early as 10 weeks
- Can test for several conditions
- Overall accuracy of >99%
- Lower risk of complications than more invasive procedures
- Testing laboratories are based in London so results are returned faster than many competitors who have to send samples abroad;
Is the test right for me?
You might consider this test if:
- You are at least 10 weeks pregnant and feeling anxious about the risks of your baby having a chromosome anomaly
- Your ultrasound shows concerns or anomalies with the baby's growth and/or development
- Your combined test (nuchal scan and blood test) result was high/medium risk and you would like another blood test before committing to an invasive diagnostic procedure
- You have personal or family history of chromosomal anomalies
What will the results tell me?
Non-invasive prenatal testing is not considered diagnostic but the results will give you a clear answer about the likelihood of your baby having any of the genetic conditions included in the test.
How do I know the test is accurate?
Whilst the test is highly accurate, it is not 100% conclusive. If your result is high risk GP Care will, with your permission, inform your Midwife and / or obstetric care provider who will arrange further testing. A “Low Risk” result does not eliminate the possibility of other chromosomal genetic condition, birth defects or complications.
97% of samples will get a result first time (we only know if the sample has enough fetal DNA after processing the first tube so we would then use the second tube if appropriate and turnaround times would be slightly longer). If we need to ask for a second sample this will be processed at no extra charge.
How to book an appointment
If you would like to book an appointment, please call us on 0333 332 2101. A member of our team will book you in, take payment and a confirmation email will be sent to you. Alternatively, please fill in the enquiry form at the top of this page and a member of the team will contact you.
Cancellations and refund policy
Cancellations made with more than 24 hours notice will be refunded. Refund for cancellation within 24 hours, will be at GP Care’s discretion. Failure to attend will result in a £50 charge.
About TDL Genetics
The Doctors Laboratory (TDL) is a medically-led laboratory that was established in 1987. It is the largest independent provider of clinical laboratory diagnostic services in the UK. TDL has CPA accredited laboratories throughout the UK, providing pathology services for clinical practice within the UK and other international markets.
The Harmony™ Prenatal Test is developed by Ariosa Diagnostics. Ariosa Diagnostics is a laboratory certified under the Clinical Laboratory Improvements Amendments (CLIA). HARMONY is a trademark of Roche in other countries.
Parents can access support before, during and after antenatal screening through ARC (Antenatal Results and Choices). ARC can be contacted on 0845 077 2290 (or 0207 713 7486 via mobile).
For more information about the conditions the NIPT tests for:
- Down Syndrome www.downs-syndrome.org.uk
- Edward and Patau Syndrome www.soft.org.uk
- Turner Syndrome www.tss.org.uk
- Klinefelter Syndrome www.ksa-uk.net